Tourism: be a part of the solution for a better environment
Globally, two-thirds of consumers prefer to buy products and services from environmentally conscious businesses. In New Zealand, there is also a growing level of concern from consumers about the environment.
Besides the obvious commercial benefits, many leading businesses like YHA New Zealand insist that it’s just the right thing to do.
“As an industry reliant on the beauty of Aotearoa, it is in our interest to be part of the solution. ” – Maureen McCloy, YHA New Zealand (Toitū carbonzero certified organisation)
Read about YHA New Zealand's Toitū carbonzero journey here.
Find out how you can take credible environmental action using globally recognised, science-based frameworks aligned with international best practice.
It’s the smart way to do business
Environmental sustainability isn’t just the right thing to do. It’s also great for your business.
- 55% of New Zealanders are highly concerned about the impact of climate*. This is reflected in growing consumer demand for ethical and environmentally conscious brands.
- Environmental considerations are becoming more important in large B2B tenders.
- 86% New Zealanders say it’s important for them to work for a socially and environmentally responsible company*.
- Reducing your environmental impacts often means lesser consumption leading to lower costs and mitigated compliance and reputational risk.
Get in touch to find out how an environmental certification can help you be a more sustainable tourism operator.
What does credible environmental action look like?
Our certification programmes help organisations measure, manage and report against their environmental impacts. Certification means that your organisation has been independently audited and verified against standards backed by solid science and international best practice.
Toitū carbonzero and Toitū carbonreduce certifications
World leading greenhouse gas (GHG) certifications accredited under ISO 14065. Organisations measure their carbon emissions, develop a reduction plan and, in the case of Toitū carbonzero, offset their unavoidable emissions through a range of carbon credits. A robust third-party verification process ensures consistency of carbon measurement, reduction and neutrality claims.
Toitū enviromark certification
A three-tiered certification scheme for environmental management systems (EMS) to allow organisations to manage environmental aspects and impacts and manage risk around legislative compliance and health & safety requirements. A robust third-party verification process ensures compliance and continual improvement for environmental management claims.
- Our internationally accredited carbon certification programmes act as a great framework to set a baseline and consolidate your organisations’ environmental initiatives.
- Access to our software tools and guidelines means an easier process of measuring and managing your impacts.
- On average, our carbon programme members achieve a 33% emission reduction, which also implies cost savings as carbon is often seen as a proxy for energy and operational expenditure.
- Independent verifications and our credible science-based approach gives you the assurance to make environmental claims in the market with utmost confidence.
- You become part of a collective of businesses from all over New Zealand who are on a similar journey and share your sustainability values.
We currently certify hundreds of organisations in New Zealand and worldwide, some of which include:
Check out these inspiring stories of carbon and environmental action in tourism:
- YHA New Zealand Toitū carbonzero Case Study
- House of Travel Auckland City Toitū carbonzero Case Study
For more inspiration, read on here – Case Studies
Related news and resources:
- Rob Campbell – Why Measurement Matters to Boards
- Sudima Hotels is saving costs and emissions with carboNZero
- Te Papa gets CEMARS certified