Enviro-Mark Solutions named the first New Zealand member of IETA and ICROA
Enviro-Mark Solutions is delighted to announce we have become the first New Zealand member of the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA) and we have also been accredited by the International Carbon Reduction and Offset Alliance (ICROA) for providing our offsetting service in accordance with the ICROA Code of Best Practice. As New Zealand’s leading provider of carbon reduction and offsetting programmes, through our CEMARS and carboNZero programmes, we place high importance on meeting international best practice so our customers can have confidence in the credibility of the certification they have been awarded.
ICROA is the world’s leading non-profit organisation for carbon reduction and offset providers in the voluntary carbon market. The organisation plays a significant role in advocating for best practice carbon offsetting and climate finance as critical levers for climate change mitigation. As an accredited member, Enviro-Mark Solutions joins organisations including Climatecare (UK), First Climate (Germany), and South Pole Group (Switzerland).
Members of ICROA commit to only using carbon credits which meet the highest international standards and that make a demonstrable and measurable difference to stabilising and reducing carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. ICROA members are also encouraged to promote sustainable development through the carbon credit projects that they develop and provide, for example, co-benefits derived from the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Chief Executive, Dr Ann Smith, says that accreditation by ICROA is a public commitment by Enviro-Mark Solutions’ to continue to provide carbon management and offset services that meet the International Code of Best Practice.
“Enviro-Mark Solutions has always been committed to providing services and programmes to the highest global standards”, she says. “As a member of ICROA we are tasked with upholding those standards. We will also be able to participate in the global forum developing the emerging rules for carbon offsetting and trading under the Paris Agreement. We will have access to the latest cutting-edge research and policy developments. This means that we can provide the best thought leadership and up-to-date guidance for our carboNZero and CEMARS clients to inform their business decisions and carbon reduction journey to net zero emissions by 2050”.
Accreditation by ICROA is only achieved following a robust organisational audit process, which is verified through an independent third-party auditor. All aspects of our offsetting process were assessed by the auditor including the greenhouse gas inventory measurement standards used, commitment to emissions reduction targets, criteria for selection of offset projects, cancellation of carbon credits in the relevant public registry and public disclosure of the measurement, reduction and offsetting details.
ICROA is managed by an independent body within the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), a non-profit business association which serves businesses engaged in market solutions to tackle climate change. Enviro-Mark Solutions was also named as a member to IETA earlier this week.
“IETA and ICROA are pleased to welcome Enviro-Mark Solutions to our membership – especially as our first member based in New Zealand,” says Dirk Forrister, IETA’s President and Chief Executive.
“We look forward to working together on initiatives to cut emissions in the Pacific region. Carbon markets are ever more important, as governments grapple with the goals that science says we need to achieve to avert the most dangerous effects of climate change. Enviro-Mark Solutions’ certification and carbon neutrality services offer valuable tools for helping businesses in the region make the transition to a low-carbon economy.”
- International Carbon Reduction and Offset Alliance (ICROA) is a non-profit organisation made up of the leading carbon reduction and offset providers in the voluntary carbon market, including Climatecare, First Climate and South Pole Carbon.
- ICROA advocates for the use of offsetting and carbon finance to mitigate climate change and plays a key role in international policy and market discussions.
- The primary aim of ICROA is to promote best practices in carbon management and offsetting to support voluntary climate mitigation efforts.
- ICROA members commit to use carbon credits validated, verified and registered under the following offset standards: American Carbon Registry, Clean Development Mechanism, Climate Action Reserve, Gold Standard, Joint Implementation, Verra and the Australian Emissions Reduction Fund.
- ICROA ensures its member companies publicly report against the ICROA Code of Best Practice, which provides specific requirements for carbon footprinting, greenhouse gas reduction advice and offset services.
- ICROA members are 3rd party audited to assure the ongoing quality of their services.
- ICROA is advised by Forum for the Future and the GHG Management Institute.
- ICROA operates globally, and is managed by an independent secretariat housed within IETA.
- International Emissions Trading Association (IETA) is the world’s foremost non-profit business association to serve businesses focussed on market solutions to climate change.
- The association is a key global advocate for emissions trading as an effective policy instrument for managing, mitigating and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and achieving our global goal of capping temperature rise through global warming at 1.5°C.
- Membership to IETA gives organisations access to the latest developments in policy and market design, as well as connection with key decision makers from governments and organisations shaping the future of the international carbon market.
ABOUT ENVIRO-MARK SOLUTIONS:
Enviro-Mark Solutions is the leading provider of environmental certification in New Zealand. Since 2001, its programmes have ensured that New Zealand companies are benefiting from international best practice, applied science, and effective tools. Enviro-Mark Solutions is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research, a Government-owned Crown Research Institute. Though developed for New Zealand business needs, Enviro-Mark Solutions’ offerings currently serve over 300 clients worldwide.
Our CEMARS, carboNZero and Enviro-Mark certifications meet and exceed the requirements of ISO standards and ensure consistent and comprehensive reporting, benchmarking and management of environmental and climate impacts. We are also accredited to ISO 14065 by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) and CDP-accredited as a Verification and Science Based Targets Provider. In addition, we offer product life cycle assessments, carbon calculators, materiality assessments on the Sustainable Development Goals and expertise in calculating and submitting Science Based Targets.