Karori Sanctuary Trust (trading as ZEALANDIA) is a ground-breaking, community-driven eco-restoration project and education facility in Karori, Wellington. The sanctuary valley is protected by a unique predator proof fence which surrounds the perimeter. This facilitates the conservation and restoration success that ZEALANDIA has realised since the fence was built in 1999. ZEALANDIA is a vital 'lifeboat' for some of New Zealand's most endangered native species.
The Trust's official vision is to be a world-class conservation site portraying our natural heritage that captures people's imagination, understanding and commitment. As part of this ZEALANDIA has an extraordinary 500-year vision to restore a corner of mainland New Zealand as closely as possible to the way it was 'the day before humans arrived'. ZEALANDIA is made up of four key activities: the sanctuary valley, the visitor centre and exhibition, the rata cafe; and the store.
Climate change and the associated effects of global warming are placing increasing pressure on biodiversity worldwide. Because conservation is the key driver for ZEALANDIA, it is imperative that it takes all practicable steps to ensure its environmental footprint is a small as possible. ZEALANDIA's role as an educational facilitate means it has an opportunity to advocate for showcasing environmental best practice and inspiring other organisations to follow their lead.
- ZEALANDIA Ecosanctuary: Summary of carboNZero certification 2018/19 - pdf, 325.2 KB
- ZEALANDIA Ecosanctuary: Summary of carboNZero certification 2017/18 - pdf, 196.9 KB
- ZEALANDIA Ecosanctuary: Summary of carboNZero certification 2016/17 - pdf, 464.0 KB
- ZEALANDIA Ecosanctuary: Summary of carboNZero certification 2015/16 - pdf, 588.0 KB
- ZEALANDIA Ecosanctuary: Summary of carboNZero certification 2014/15 - pdf, 576.2 KB
- Disclosure_1920_Zealandia_CZ_Org.pdf - pdf, 383.5 KB