Carbon Programmes & Certification
Doing good is good business — reducing carbon emissions offers significant benefits for your business, for your customers, and for our collective future. Toitū Envirocare provides all the tools you need to start your carbon journey including tailored software and technical guidance through to independent audit and third party certification
- Toitū carbonreduce and Toitū carbonzero certification
- Carbon credits and offsetting
- Other carbon management services
Join our collective journey to sustain the life of this place, our people and our future.
- What's the process?
- How will carbon management and certification benefit my business?
- Not yet ready for certification? We have other services to help you take action.
We help you identify what data you need to measure your greenhouse gas inventory. Our tools and resources support you to set real and achievable goals to reduce your emissions. We then arrange an independent audit to verify your result is accurate and complete. You can optionally choose from a selection of carbon credits to offset your emissions. After your hard work you will receive globally recognised certification logos to help you market your achievements. The annual cycle sustains a journey of continual reduction.
The Toitū carbonzero and Toitū carbonreduce programmes were previously known as carboNZero and CEMARS respectively.
Toitū carbonreduce certification
We help you accurately measure your greenhouse gas emissions, and put in place strategies to manage and reduce impacts. Our tools are designed to support any organisation, service or product. You will be certified in accordance with ISO 14064-1 or PAS 2050, allowing you to make carbon reduction claims with confidence in any market.
Compliance with the programme is independently verified annually to maintain certification.
Toitū carbonzero certification
We help you accurately measure your greenhouse gas emissions, and put in place strategies to manage, reduce and offset your impacts. Our tools are designed to support any organisation, service or product. We facilitate offseting your remaining emissions through verified carbon credits to achieve a neutral balance. You will be certified in accordance with ISO 14064-1 or PAS 2050, allowing you to make carbon neutral claims with confidence in any market.
Compliance with the programme is independently verified annually to maintain certification.
What makes our Toitū certifications world leading?
- Programme requirements meet and exceed international standards and best practice
- Toitū carbonzero and Toitū carbonreduce certification are currently available in 17 countries and the certification marks are recognised in over 60 countries, making it ideal for companies working in global supply chains or exporting products.
- Toitū carbonzero and Toitū carbonreduce certification are accredited by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) and were the world’s first carbon certification programme to be accredited under ISO 14065. See our accreditation details on the JAS-ANZ website here. See the JAS-ANZ certification register here.
- We offer the only carbon neutral product certification to PAS 2050 outside of the UK.
- Toitū carbonreduce certification is accepted by the CDP (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project). In fact, companies reporting to the CDP through Toitū carbonreduce certification earn 10-15% more points. In the UK Toitū carbonreduce is also licensed by the UK Environment Agency and recognised by the UK Energy Savings and Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) as a route to compliance.
- Toitū carbonzero and Toitū carbonreduce certified products can be awarded points by the New Zealand Green Building Council’s Green Star programme under the materials category. Toitū carbonreduce certified products earn .25 points and Toitū carbonzero certified products earn .5 points.
- We actively participate in the development of the leading international standards in greenhouse gas measurement and reduction.
- We collaborate with the internationally recognised experts of Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research, including scientists who specialise in greenhouse gas measurement, carbon monitoring and the creation of carbon sinks.
We currently have hundreds of members in New Zealand and beyond, including Auckland Airport, COPEC, New Zealand Post, Tahbilk Wine, Toyota New Zealand, University of Bristol and Yealands Wine. Explore our currently certified members and case studies here.
Want your organisation to make positive environmental change?
There are five key steps to achieving one of our certifications. Click the icons to learn more about each step of the process.
Throughout the process, you will have access to our software, tools and templates, which will help identify what data you will need to gather, calculate your emissions inventory and prepare reports for verification and public disclosure. You will also be given a key contact who will provide guidance and resources to help you in your certification journey.
This is an annual cycle and each inventory will help keep you on a journey of continual reduction.
Our world leading carbon reduction and carbon neutral certifications are business tested and supported by scientific research and international best practice. For every member we provide flexible support, a comprehensive tool kit, and expert advisors.
Just some of the benefits our members are receiving:
- Market access & export advantage
- Identify business efficiencies and cost savings
- Satisfy stakeholder and supply chain demand
- Improve staff engagement
- Build internal capability and institutional knowledge
- Gain a moral and reputational advantage
- Demonstrate good corporate citizenship
- Anticipate and manage risks
Ready to learn more about what Toitū carbonzero or Toitū carbonreduce certification might mean for your business?
New Zealand’s first Toitū carbonzero building operations certification programme
Toitū Envirocare and the New Zealand Green Building Council are currently piloting a new Toitū carbonzero building operations certification programme. This programme gives New Zealand building owners a robust pathway to certify either base or whole building operations as zero carbon.
The programme ensures that members measure, manage and reduce their climate impacts against the highest international standards to make a meaningful difference to our atmosphere. In addition, reducing carbon emissions from our buildings has the potential to save building owners and operators millions in energy bills, as well as making them better environments in which to work and live. For more information on how to certify your building operations as Toitū carbonzero, contact us.
Carbon credits and offsetting
We need to balance total global emissions to zero by 2050, in order to avoid more than 1.5°C change in global temperature. Significantly reducing emissions will take time. To aid a rapid and just transition, organisations can offset any remaining or unavoidable emissions through verified carbon credits.
We can provide a range of carbon credits that meet our thorough quality assessment for you to offset a carbon footprint, whether it is for an individual, a specific set of operations, or your entire organisation. Individuals can get started with our public emissions and offset calculator. If you know how many credits you want to buy, you can purchase these directly. For everything else, contact us to get started .
Click here to learn more about carbon credits, including the types that we work with and how we assess the quality of the credit projects.
If your carbon journey isn't ready for certification, we can still help. Contact us to find out which solution would best fit your needs.
Setting science-based targets
Toitū Envirocare provides custom support to help organisations set and achieve science-based emissions reduction targets. We are the first CDP-accredited science-based targets partner in Australia and New Zealand.
Whether your organisation is starting from scratch or needs its work verified, we can help.
Why set a science-based target?
A science-based target is an emissions reduction goal set in line with the global carbon budget. This budget caps global carbon emissions at one trillion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents (tCO2e), which gives us the best change of limiting global warming to less than 2°C.
Using science-based target principles allows organisations of any size or sector to make a meaningful and fair transition to the global low carbon economy.
Toitū Envirocare welcomes any organisation that wants to set science-based targets to start the conversation today. Together we can develop a custom plan to apply our expertise to your business needs.
Other carbon management services include:
- Custom assessment or audit services against a range of environmental standards and criteria
- Emissions factor review, development and provision
- Measure your GHG inventory with our emissions calculation software
- Assessment and provision of verified carbon credits
- Customised carbon calculators for your customers or event
- Workshops and training across a range of environmental topics
- Free carbon calculators for individuals to estimate and optionally offset their household or travel footprints
solarZero - a Toitū carbonzero certification story
solarZero has held Toitū carbonzero certification for over a decade. Through their daily operations and their business model, solarZero is pushing us to net zero one kilowatt at a time.
- Read more
- Oct 2020
- Sep 2020