Toitū enviromark gold certification
Toitū enviromark gold is the second step in the Environmental Management System journey.
An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a planned approach to managing environmental impacts. Organisations identify the significant environmental impacts arising from everything they do and then develop plans to prevent or reduce those impacts. The Toitū enviromark programme mentors organisations to develop, implement and maintain an EMS and verifies their work.
Toitū enviromark gold certified organisations have developed a comprehensive plan to help them achieve their goals outlined in their formal environmental policy. They are measuring their impacts so that they can better manage them.
To achieve Toitū enviromark gold certification, an organisation:
- Has set objectives and targets for driving improvement and has programmes in place to meet those targets;
- Has developed, implemented and tested environmental emergency plans;
- Has identified and evaluated their significant environmental issues arising from activities, products and services;
- Is actively monitoring their ongoing compliance with New Zealand legislation and is ensuring they are aware of any changes to obligations;
- Has produced an environmental policy statement;
- Understands the scope of their EMS (i.e. are there any parts of the organisation that need to be excluded from the EMS and why);
- Exhibits no non-compliances with New Zealand’s applicable health and safety and environmental legislation.